How can creative commons licensed materials help me as a teacher?

How can we help our learners manage their digital footprints?

• Informing them on how the digital footprint works.
  • Be a role model through modelling to your students.
  • Make sure students get permission to post things with others in it.
  • Share experiences.
  • Teach them how to correct their mistakes.
  • Concept of “forever”.
  • Teach them to think into the future consequences.
  • Video:

What was the most interesting thing you found when you googled yourself?

• I did not find much just by typing in “Sean MacDonald” mainly because it is such a common name. The main things which came up when I looked up my name was there is a professional chef, and several other professionals who share my name. This still happened when I used the search “Sean MacDonald UVIC”, again because it is such a common name and there have been other graduates and professionals who have also graduated from the University of Victoria. The main people who came up with this search is a Process Control Engineer and some others. This even happens when I use the search “Sean MacDonald Salmon Arm” with the only search which includes me is from my hometowns newspaper in the obituary for my grandfather.

Will you change your use of social media after the talk and Q&A with Jesse Miller?

• My use of social media is already limited in general. I do not use Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok or Facebook and I just made a Twitter for this class and for my future teaching career. For this reason I do not see myself changing my use of social media much after the Q&A but I still found the information interesting and insightful for my future career. The only child I have in my life is my niece and she is 3 years old so she does not post anything on the internet but it is extremely interesting to see her level of understanding of technology, like iPads. It totally makes sense to me that as a future teacher I will have to make my students aware of internet safety from an early age.

Could video creation be effective learning resource and/or class activity at the grade level I hope to teach (with learners creating their own videos)?

• I believe there are always ways in which basically every type of learning could be used in every grade as most things can be slightly altered to fit their desired use. However, I hope to teach grades between K-3 and video creation might be above their current abilities for several reasons. These include, literacy, and technological backgrounds. Some children may be unable to follow complex directions which may be required for video creation at all levels. However, every class is different, and there are definitely situations in a grade 3 class where video creation may be an effective learning resource. These could include things such as small stop-motion video creation where students really would only need to frame scenes and take photos. Video creation could also be a whole class activity where the teacher leads the process and the students, as a large group, help create the video.
  • Video Activities (Not Necessarily at Grade Level):
  • 10 Ideas for Classroom Video Projects | open thinking (educationaltechnology.ca)
  • 51 Creative Video Project Ideas for Students (With Templates) (invideo.io)

Video Made: